The beautifully restored Humber Keel COMRADE will sail down the River Hull and into the Humber Estuary as part of the Open Bridges journey.
Find out about the COMRADE from Humber Keel COMRADE’s Sailing Master, John Medland’s biography of the vessel:
“The steel hulled barge originally named Wanda was built in 1923 by Warren’s Shipyard in New Holland, Lincolnshire. She was bought by John Taylor, who renamed her Ada Carter, the maiden name of his wife. Six years later, John exchanged Ada Carter for a wooden Keel called Galatea owned by Arthur Schofield. The exchange was Keel for Keel, plus £600 to John Taylor from Arthur. Fortunately all the sailing gear and Cog boat on Galatea was exchanged to Ada Carter as part of the settlement.
At the earliest opportunity Arthur Schofield changed her name to Comrade and rigged her with the sailing gear from Galatea. The sailing rig was with square sails, similar to the rig of the ancient Saxon Ceols or Viking Longships. Humber Keel Comrade was in business and carried various cargoes from Hull Docks to Beverley, South and West Yorkshire and back. Being Sheffield sized – (61 ft 6in x 15ft 6in) the Keel could fit in all the lock chambers to Sheffield as well as Nottingham, York, Leeds and Lincoln. Fully laden the cargo could be up to 110 tonnes and the vessel drawing up to 7ft 6ins. Unladen, Comrade was just over 62 tonnes
The colour schemes or liveries of the barges was not just a random choice of colours. Company owners or individual owners had their own liveries which were applied to specific parts of the superstructure. In Comrade’s instance, this was pale blue gunwales and timberheads with orange top strakes and hawse plates, this enabled accurate identification at a distance. This colour scheme is retained to this day.
In 1934, Arthur was able to install a 40hp semi-diesel which was used as a auxiliary engine with the sails. Later in 1942, the Ministry of War Transport supplied 21hp Lister Diesel engines for Inland waterway craft. This replaced the previously fitted unreliable engine and signalled the end of Comrade’s days under sail.
War surplus searchlight generator 31hp Lister diesel engines became available in 1953 and Comrade’s 21hp engine was part exchanged for the 31 hp Lister. At the same time, Arthur Schofield agreed to let his son Fred buy a half share in Comrade. Fred agreed to work Comrade on thirds so it would provide a pension for Arthur.
‘Thirds ‘ was how the profit for a voyage was distributed. Out of the gross money paid for the carriage of the goods (freight). All commission or brokerage was deducted plus any dock or canal fees and any towing fees on the Estuary. This net sum was divided into three – hence thirds. One third went to the vessel owner, who would pay for marine insurance and repairs. Two thirds went to the skipper, who would pay for the mate, casual labour needed to work the ship or cargo and any horse haulage fees on the canals, plus feeding the marine in charge of the horse. With the installation of the reliable engine, towing fees became a thing of the past.
In 1970 the Humber Keel and Sloop Preservation Society (HKSPS) was formed with the aim to restore and sail a Keel and a Sloop, as examples of the two types of vessels which carried substantial cargoes in the region. Fred Schofield was looking to retire in 1974 and agreed to sell Comrade to the Society.
Early 1975 the restoration started, superintened by Fred. A new mast was fashioned from a long rough timber log. The sails ordered from Jeckells of Wroxham and the running and standing rigging from Hall’s Barton Ropery.
By August 1976, Comrade was sailing on the Humber. In July 1977 Comrade formed part of the Flotilla to welcome the Queen and Prince Philip on the Royal Yacht Britannia at Grimsby Roads. In 1978 Comrade was used as an eighteenth century sailing ship in the film ‘Black Jack’. In 1979, Comrade made a voyage to Bridlington, the first time a Keel had made that voyage since 1905.
In 1981, Amy Howson, a Humber Sloop which was built in 1914 at Beverley Beck, East Yorkshire and restored by HKSPS, joined Comrade as they sailed underneath the Humber Bridge as the Queen and Prince Philip drove across the bridge to Barton.
The two vessels remain under sail today and can be chartered by passengers for trips on the River Humber and inland via the Ouse. These ‘grand old ladies’ show the later generations, how cargoes were moved under sail in the Humber Region.”
Visit The Humber Keel and Sloop Preservation Society website
Open Bridges – freedom or freedom withheld? Hull, UK is the only city in the world where this can happen.
Open Bridges: The river journey and the bridges
Open Bridges – Hull City of Culture 2017 to be split in two: The River Hull runs directly through the centre of the city defining East and West Hull and the culture of the city. On September 22nd Open Bridges will signify the vital role bridges play in everyday life with a new musique concrète commission, a river journey and the mustering of historic vessels. For the first time in Hull’s history the city will be momentarily split in two, denying the freedom of movement east or west across the River Hull.
As the river journey ends the music begins
John Stead’s Open Bridges live premiere performance by will be diffused in octophonic sound featuring found sounds recorded from Hull bridges movements and operations. The programme includes rare performances of music concrete work by pioneers of electronic, electroacoustic and acousmatic music – Jean-Claude Risset’s “Elementa” and Francis Dhomont’s “Cycle du Son”.
Tickets for the music premiere on Friday 22nd September at Hull Stage@The Dock, Queen Street, Hull. HU1 1UU, doors 7.30 pm, £10 available from Hull Box Office.
Open Bridges is an independent Hull based project by Duffy-Howard Music in partnership with HCC Streetscene Services taking place during the City of Culture Freedom Season.
Project concept Rich & Lou Duffy-Howard
Photography © Richard Duffy-Howard